Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Op for Homeschool Teens!!

VaHomeschoolers 2012 Conference Logo

VaHomeschoolers 2012 

Conference and Resource Fair
Excite, Enliven, Empower!

Give a Little, Get a Lot: Volunteer!

March 23-24, 2012
Cultural Arts Center
at Glen Allen

2880 Mountain Road
Glen Allen, Virginia

I don't know if you know or not, but I'm a Homeschooling Mamma! Now that my kids are older (11 and 14) they don't like to be included on the blog, I think they feel a little exposed (don't tell them about the snow day photos, or I'll be in big trouble). Because of this, I don't really chat too much about family life here anymore and that kind of makes me sad. At least I have twitter and Facebook on which to share the day-to-day bits. 

I've long been a member of The Organization of Virginia Homeschoolers. It's my go to website to learn about the in's and out's of homeschooling. And every year they host a conference, a conference I would not miss for love nor money. It's my annual homeschool booster shot, without which I would have quit homeschooling a long time ago. No lie.

Before Modern June got off the ground, I used to volunteer as a Key Leader for the conference. I was the Ice Cream Social and Talent Show hostess. It's funny for me to say that I was Key Leader, as throwing a party is not nearly as hard or important as all the other jobs Key Leaders are required to do. I am awe of these ladies and gentlemen that work so hard to put together an informative and successful conference each year.

Well, I'm back in the mix again. I've taken on a little job to help out this year. Maddie and I will be hosting the Teen Luau on Friday, March 23rd. We'll be planning games and making a limbo set up. I think we need to make a Tropical Photo Booth too!! How fun will that be? 

Here's the 411!! 
Teens
Teen volunteers must be 13 years or older and come ready to work. As a heartfelt thank-you to all our teen volunteers for your wonderful support and hard work, we offer you food and fun. Volunteer at the conference and get free admission plus access to the Volunteer Hospitality Room (stocked with complimentary snacks, drinks and a yummy lunch) on the day of the conference.

Teen Luau
Aloha Teens! Teen volunteers get free conference admission and entrance to the Teen Volunteer Luau.  Join us Friday night from 4-6 p.m. for a luau with food, music, games and the chance to mingle with other homeschooled teens from throughout the state. Mix with old friends, and make some new ones! This party is separate from the ice cream social luau and is only for teen conference volunteers.

Earn Certification Hours
We’re happy to provide certification of service hours and/or letters of reference for your participation (these look great on college and job applications) for teens that volunteer. You deserve it!

Sign-up to volunteer today! Click below to send an email to Volunteers@VaHomeschoolers.org.

No comments: