Friday, January 11, 2008

Goal: Take a better photo


I have many goals for Modern June in 2008 one of which is taking a better photographs. I can't get a better camera but I can admit that I need some help. So out goes my call for some advise from my handy dandy craft divas and one sweet husband.

Don is always saying tripod, tripod, tripod! Oh and no flash no flash no flash! OK I think that all has finally set in. I am lucky that he bought a tripod in collage! Then he and I sat around playing with the i photo adjust tool. Wow, that helped a whole lot! As I am opening back up the shop (slowly) I am editing the really rotten photos that I have taken over the last year and adding the brighter photos on to the etsy listing.

But there is still so much to be desired with the photos that I am taking now. So here comes the troops with their crafty "google" knowledge! Beth sent me this Storque article and video produced by ETSY LABS. there you will find a how to video on taking a better shot. OMG! Not only is Mary too cute but they gave me wonderful piece of advise. I never new what all that menu stuff was all about. White balance! who knew? Not me that is for certain!

Also some where I read that a faster shutter speed lets in more light so I have been using the "splashing water" setting.

So by adjusting the EV shift from 0.0 to 1.7 I was able to go from this dark photo to this nice bright photo. and it is a dark cloudy day! I am shocked and delighted. Thank you etsy labs for the great articles!

This is just a start, I have much more to learn but I just had to share how easy it was to get this kind of result.


Here is the link list for better photos. If you have anything to add please leave a comment.

Taking Professional Looking Photos Without a Professional

Posie gets cozy: photo tidbits!

Shop Makeover series: Photographing for Success

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That makes 2 of us.

I've been tinkering with a 35mm since I was a kid but never took a deep interest in exploring all that the camera could do.

I set some specific goals related to photography this year and am having a lot of fun so far.

My Flickr collection is here.

Best of luck achieving your goals.

Stephanie said...

Great information! I could use those links to be sure.

Anonymous said...

I'm jealous! I just have a point and click.

I like that there polka dot pouch.

Kelly McCants said...

I just can not believe the difference that this makes! Don't be jealous, I to was a point and shooter!

I love learning new tricks!